Chilled tomato soup with avocado salsa
- 6 each Roma tomatoes, split and deseeded
- 2 each garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/2 teaspoons basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 each yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 ounce olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon white pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 each avocado, diced
- 1/2 each cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
- 1/2 each red and green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1/2 each tomatillo, diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
Soup - In a hot skillet, add oil and sauté tomatoes, garlic, onions and basil. Add paste, broth and simmer until tomatoes fall apart. Remove from heat and then add vinegar and pepper. Puree soup in a food processor and refrigerate.
Salsa - Combine all ingredients and let chill for 2 hours before serving.
Serve soup with a dollop of salsa on top.
Courtesy of www.5aday.com
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.