Adam's Hot Chocolate – and More!
Southern cook Paula Deen is known for preparing delicious down-home dishes. This week, World renowned chocolatier Adam Turoni steps into Paula’s kitchen and demonstrates some high-end techniques!
Watch "Positively Paula" on Tuesdays at 7 PM ET / 6 PM CT / 5 PM MT / 4 PM PT
Adam's Hot Chocolate
½ cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon + 1 tsp Cornstarch
¼ cup Cocoa Powder
1/8 tsp Salt
2 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste/Vanilla bean extract
¾ cup Dark Chocolate chopped into diced pieces (70%-80% chocolate percentage recommended)
6 oz. of whole warm milk to ¼ cup of hot chocolate mix
- Using a chef's knife, chop your chocolate pieces or bars into a small dice and place in a small bowl.
- Set aside.
- Using a medium-size bowl, combine the granulated sugar, cornstarch, unsweetened cocoa powder, and salt, whisking together until fully combined forming a cocoa mix.
- Add the vanilla paste/Extract to to the whisked cocoa mixture until evenly distributed, creating a slightly moist mix
- Finally, add the chopped chocolate pieces that were set aside to the moistened cocoa mix, and whisk until incorporated.
- We now have our finished dried hot chocolate mix!
- Portion your cocoa mix into bottles or mugs using a ¼ cup of mix per each cup or bottle.
- If storing for another day, be sure to have an airtight seal on your bottles. The shelf life is 2-3 months.?
Step Two: Enjoying Your Hot Chocolate
- Using your one portioned bottle or mug, gently heat 6 ounces of whole milk to just under a boil.
- Pour the milk into the glass bottle and seal with the gold cap ensuring the cap is securely in place before proceeding.
- Shake the bottle vigorously (careful bottle will be warm) until the powder has been fully incorporated and dissolved
- Remove the cap carefully (the mixture can be very warm still) and enjoy!
- Shake or stir periodically to ensure your hot cocoa always has the best chocolatey taste.?
Sugar and Spice Pecans
8oz Pecans (halved)
½ Cup Sugar, ½ Cup Sugar,
? tsp each: Ground Cloves, Powdered Ginger,
Ground Cardamom, Ground Cinnamon. Allspice
1 tbsp Powdered Milk
½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- Bring sugar and water to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Add pecans and cook until liquid has almost evaporated.
- In a separate bowl, mix spices and powdered milk together.
- Add pecans to spice mixture along with the Vanilla extract.
- Toss to coat and then spread on a cookie sheet to cool!
Exploding Chocolate Bark
10oz 60% Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (good quality)
10oz White Chocolate
½ cup of your Favorite Favored Pop-Rocks Candy
Course Ground Sugar
- Melt 8oz of the chocolate over a double boiler until smooth
- Remove from heat and add the remaining 2oz to temper the mixture
- Spread unto a piece of wax paper using an offset spatula.
- Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Add ½ cupof your favorite flavored Pop-Rocks Candy over the chocolate. Refrigerate until cool.
- Melt the white chocolate the same as the dark chocolate.
- Add a layer of the white chocolate and use your offset spatula again to smooth.
- Sprinkle course ground sugar over the top at and let cool!
- Break apart and enjoy!