The Lady And Sons Macaroni and Cheese
Southern cook Paula Deen is known for preparing delicious down-home dishes. This week, Paula and the boys continue to reminisce with some Mac and Cheese, a delicious Cucumber Salad and Paula's famous Banana Pudding.
Watch "Positively Paula" on Tuesdays at 7 PM ET / 6 PM CT / 5 PM MT / 4 PM PT
The Lady And Sons Macaroni and Cheese (serves 6–8)
1 box (16oz) elbow macaroni noodles
12oz of sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
3 TBS butter
1 cup evaporated milk
4oz of cream cheese
- Cook 1 box (16oz) elbow macaroni noodles in large pot with 1 TBS salt.
- Slightly over-cook the pasta. Drain thoroughly and pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Grate 12oz of sharp cheddar cheese and cut up another 4oz into 1/2 inch cubes and mix with the pasta.
- Add 1/2 cup sour cream, 3 TBS butter, 1 cup evaporated milk and
- 4oz of cream cheese. Stir well! After mixture has cooled a little, add 3 beaten eggs and stir.
- Generously coat a 9x13 baking pan with a non-stick spray or butter.
- Pour mixture into your pan and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. (Stir mixture at 25 minutes)
- Top with a little more grated cheese and bake for another 5 minutes.
Aunt Peggy's Cucumber Salad (serves 2–4)
1/2 of a Vidalia onion
Fresh dill (a few sprigs)
1/2 cup apple cider or white vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
- Trim the ends off 2 cucumbers, score them with a fork.
- Cut the cucumbers into 1/8" slices. Cut 1/2 of a Vidalia onion into thin slices. Add to a serving bowl.
- Add a few sprigs of minced fresh dill. Toss the salad with and 1/2 cup apple cider or white vinegar.
- Add a teaspoon of sugar then salt and pepper to taste. Should be made at the last minute to stay crisp!
No Cook Banana Pudding (serves 6–10)
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
8oz of cream cheese
14oz sweetened condensed milk
5.5oz package of instant vanilla pudding
2 cups milk
1 box of chessmen cookies
- Mix 2 cups whipping cream with 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar in a chilled bowl!
- Mix until light and fluffy.
- In another bowl, mix 8oz of cream cheese with 14oz sweetened condensed milk.
- Add one 5.5oz package of instant vanilla pudding and 2 cups milk.
- Mix until smooth.
- Fold the whipping cream into the custard mix.
- In a large serving dish, arrange 1 row of chessmen cookies.
- Cover this with a layer of custard and then a layer of sliced bananas.
- Repeat these steps and finish off with a final layer of the cookies!