Fresh Recipe: How to Make Homemade PastaPosted:
Originally posted on https://makebestpasta.com/fresh-recipe-make-homemade-pasta/
Have you ever wondered why so many restaurant chains over the years have used the word “fresh” in their advertisements? (Think of Subway’s long-standing “Eat Fresh” slogan, for example.)
That’s probably because it’s just fact: fresh food tastes better.
But there is a big difference between food that is called “fresh” in an advertisement, or on a package label, and the real, fresh food a chef or a proud Italian grandmother would approve of.
That’s why all pasta lovers should try making fresh, homemade pasta and skip the packaged stuff that has been sitting on the shelves for who knows how long.
Eating simple, fresh ingredients is something your body will thank you for, plus it’s a fun hobby to master and a great activity for friends, kids, or a romantic date.
Homemade Pasta: It’s Not as Hard as You’d Think!
Homemade pasta has an unbeatable fresh taste. While there are many complicated pasta recipes out there, don’t be intimidated. You can make pasta at home with just five simple ingredients.
We recommend this simple recipe to get you started.
Simple Homemade Pasta In 10 Easy Steps!
Here are the only ingredients you will need to make approximately one pound of homemade pasta:
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
- 3 Whole Large Egg
- 1 tbsp. Whole Milk
- 1 tsp. Olive Oil
- tsp. Salt
These are the supplies you will need:
- Mixing Bowl and Fork or Food Processor
- Rolling Pin
- Plastic Wrap
- Pasta Maker
(If working with a food processor, mix all the ingredients until a stiff dough forms and skip to step 4.)
- Start by mixing together the flour and salt.
- Once combined, pour the mixture onto a clean kneading surface. Create a well in the middle of the flour and add the eggs and liquid ingredients. (If you prefer, you can also mix the ingredients in the mixing bowl).
- Gently mix the ingredients, drawing flour in gradually. Continue to do this until a stiff dough forms.
- Knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes.
If you’ve ever made bread dough before, you’ll notice that pasta dough is much thicker due to the lower moisture ratio. If after kneading the dough is too dry and flakey, add 1/2 tablespoon of water. If it is too sticky, it needs another sprinkle of flour.
- Cover the dough ball in plastic wrap and allow it to rest for at room temperature for at least 45 minutes. This will make the dough much easier to work with, so don’t skip this step!
Rolling the Pasta:
- After the 45 minutes is up, unwrap the dough and divide it into four even sections.
- Dust your rolling surface and rolling pin with flour and roll out each section. (Fun fact: a wine bottlemakes for a great rolling pin in a pinch!) Roll until each section is thinner than a pancake.
- Now, run the dough sections through your pasta maker! Start by running them through a thicker rolling setting several times, folding the dough in thirds each time to help square the dough edges. Then choose a smaller rolling setting.
- Once the sheet is flattened to your liking, let it dry for about 10 minutes.
- Select the pasta cut you want (i.e. spaghetti or fettuccini) and roll the dough through the cutting side of the machine. Catch the pasta with your free hand and either hang it to dry or roll it into a nest.
We recommend letting the pasta dry for 3 hours before cooking. You can store it in an airtight container for up to several days.
Cooking time for fresh pasta depends on the type of pasta. For spaghetti and fettuccini, cook the pasta in boiling water (add a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of olive oil to the water to prevent sticking and enhance flavor). Boil for approximately 7 minutes. The pasta is done when the texture is to your liking.
Drain the pasta in a strainer. Enjoy with you favorite sauce, veggies, meatballs or any other ingredients to your liking!
Can You Make Vegan Pasta at Home Too?
If vegan pasta is more your style or you are entertaining vegan guests, you can make pasta free of animal products at home as well! This is also a great option for people on a low-cholesterol diet.
Simply replace the eggs and milk with 1/2 cup warm water and make sure to use semolina flour. With these ingredients, follow the instructions above.
In the case of vegan pasta, note that the cooking time decreases to 3-5 minutes.
Once you get the hang of it- you can mix it up by making flavored pasta at home! Mix in ingredients like garlic powder, basil, pesto, tomato, red pepper, or even beets!
The possibilities are pretty much endless, especially when you think of all the amazing sauce recipes, toppings, and pasta stuffings you’ll want to try.
Get a Great Pasta Maker
A quality pasta maker is a must have for any pasta lover. We at MakeBestPasta.com are here to help you choose the best pasta maker for you, or perhaps as a fantastic gift for a friend or family member.
There are a few different types of pasta makers. The biggest difference is electric vs manual. For most at home users, a manual pasta maker will work just fine. If you make a lot of pasta regularly, however, an electric model will save you a ton of time and effort.
If you really want to step up your fresh pasta game, you can get a pasta maker that is capable of making a variety of styles, such as ravioli or tortellini.
Thanks for reading about how to make delicious homemade pasta in 10 easy steps.
Get your pasta maker today or snatch one up as a unique gift for the pasta lover in your life. (Father’s Day is coming up!)
Eating homemade food with fresh ingredients can be fun and rewarding for many. Try making pasta at home for your next dinner party, date night, or just to treat yourself to healthy, fresh ingredients free of preservatives.
You can share your favorite tips, tricks, recipes, and pasta maker reviews to keep the conversation going by commenting below!
Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. Frankly and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and would like it removed please contact email@example.com