Wrangler NFR 2019: Clay Smith/Jade Corkill take Round 2 of team roping
Team roping header Clay Smith and heeler Jade Corkill are comfortable atop the leaderboard, and that's where they found themselves after the second round of the team roping event.
Smith and Corkill put up a round-winning time of 4.4 seconds netting them $26,230.
Corkill quickly praised Smith for the run.
“I tried to focus on doing my job and plan on him turning the steer, and he does it better than anyone else."
Corkill also credited his horse after the winning time.
“I was riding Huey. He’s 10 years old, and I’ve had him for a year. He scores good and fast and can do everything we need – and he wants to do it. He did first-place good tonight.”
After their second-round victory, Smith and Corkill are leading their respective standings in the world rankings.
Team Roping Header World Standings (NFR money in parentheses)
1. Clay Smith - $186,742 ($36,230)
2. Kaleb Driggers - $142,557 ($24,102)
3. Clay Tryan - $133,895 ($30,730)
4. Riley Minorr - $125,418 ($27,769)
5. Coleman Proctor - $114,318 ($10,000)
Team Roping Heeler World Standings (NFR money in parentheses)
1. Jade Corkill - $144,868 ($36,230)
2. Junior Nogueria - $139,877 ($24,102)
3. Jake Long - $137,627 ($30,730)
4. Brady Mino - $125,418 ($27,769)
5. Kyle Lockett - $124,383 ($25,653)