Warm red cabbage and bacon salad
Quick, easy and flavorful, this salad could become a main dish salad. The sweet and sour flavors are an easy favorite with kids of all ages.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Servings: 4 - 1 ¼ cup.
5 A Day servings: 4.
- 3 slices reduced-fat turkey bacon
- 1 ½ tbsps. olive oil
- ½ large onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 large stalks celery, sliced
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- ½ large red cabbage, shredded to yield about 6 cups*
- 3 tbsps. sugar
- ½ tsp. celery seed
- salt and pepper, optional**
- 2 tbsps. chopped parsley, garnish
1. Cut bacon slices into 1-inch pieces and sauté over MEDIUM-LOW heat in a very large, deep skillet until crisp but not overdone. Remove to absorbent paper and reserve. Drain off all bacon fat and replace with olive oil.
2. Heat oil in skillet over HIGH heat. Add onion and celery and sauté briefly. Add vinegar, sugar, and celery seed. Heat until boiling; immediately add cabbage and bacon pieces, all at once. Stir and toss for about 1 minute, or until the cabbage is warm, not cooked. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
3. Serve immediately while very warm with garnish of chopped parsley.
*Chef's Note: The convenience of buying pre-shredded cabbage, carrots, and bagged salad makes this salad even easier for a busy cook.
**Optional ingredients are not included in dietary analysis.
|Nutritional Information per Serving|
|Calories: 190||Carbohydrates: 22g|
|Total Fat: 7g||Cholesterol: 15mg|
|Saturated Fat: 2g||Dietary Fiber: 5g|
|% of Calories from Fat: 15%||Sodium: 300mg|
Credit: Recipe developed for the Produce for Better Health Foundation by
Chef Carmen I. Jones, CCP.
Courtesy of www.5aday.org
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.