Report: 10 percent of U.S. households were food insecure last year


The USDA’s Economic Research Service released its Household Food Security in the United States in 2021 report earlier today.

The study found that 90 percent of U.S. households were food secure last year, meaning the remaining 10 percent, which amounted to around 13.5 million households, were food insecure. Six percent of households with children were food insecure at times in 2021, which is down from 7.5 percent in 2020.

Overall, food insecurity is relatively unchanged in 2021 compared to 2020.


Acute food insecurity is now reaching almost 350 million people

Cattle could be the solution to global food insecurity

TN ag groups are bringing awareness to food waste and food insecurity

Story via Alisha Coleman-Jensen, Matthew P. Rabbitt, Christian A. Gregory, Anita Singh with USDA ERS