Justin Wilson Looking Back: Blackberry Cobbler
Serves 8-10 people
For the Filling
- 2 cups of dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of honey
- 1/2 cup of brandy
- 8 cups of fresh blackberries, picked over
For the Crust
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) margarine or butter, softened
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1 1/2 cups of apple and pineapple juices combined
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
To prepare the filling, mix together all the ingredients except the berries and pour over the berries in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, then simmer over a low fire until the berries are soft, about 5 minutes.
Pour the mixture into a buttered deep 9x12-inch casserole dish and set aside.
To prepare the crust, in a medium-size mixing bowl, cream the margarine with the sugar, then add the flour, baking powder, salt, and fruit juices and mix well. Pour the batter over the blackberry mixture and bake until golden brown, about 1 hour.