Justin Wilson Looking Back: Leftover Steak, Potatoes, and Mushrooom Stew
Serves 4-6 people
- 1 1/2 cups of olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups of shifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of chopped onions
- 1/2 cup of cold water, maybe more
- 2 1/2 pounds of cooked boneless steak, fat removed, and cut into 1 inch squares
- 1 pound of potatoes, peeled, cut up, boiled until tender in seasoned water to cover, and drained
- 1/2 cup of dry light red wine (I like Chianti for this)
- Louisiana hot sauce to taste
- Worcestershire sauce to taste
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- Salt to taste
- Creole mustard to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over a medium fire. Add the flour, and stirring constantly, make a dark roux.
Add the onions and cook, stirring, until clear, then stir in the water until smooth.
Add the remaining ingredients and cook covered, over a low fire for about 45 minutes, adding more water if needed.