Monsanto Proposes $7.25 Billion Roundup™ Class Settlement to Resolve Current and Future Claims

Bayer’s Monsanto announces $7.25B class settlement for Roundup™ lawsuits alleging Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL), covering claims over 21 years.

Bayer

Market Day Report

ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI (RFD NEWS)Monsanto, a subsidiary of Bayer, announced a proposed nationwide U.S. class settlement designed to resolve current and future claims related to Roundup™ exposure and Non-Hodgkin lymphoma (NHL). The settlement, which requires court approval, would provide up to $7.25 billion in funding through declining capped annual payments over 21 years, giving Monsanto greater financial certainty.

The proposed class settlement complements ongoing U.S. Supreme Court review of the Durnell case, which addresses whether state failure-to-warn claims are preempted by federal law. Bayer described the class settlement and Supreme Court case as mutually reinforcing strategies to contain the multi-billion-dollar Roundup™ litigation.

“This settlement provides an essential path out of litigation uncertainty and allows us to focus on innovations that support our mission: Health for all, Hunger for none,” said Bayer COE Bill Anderson. Monsanto emphasized that the settlement does not constitute any admission of liability or wrongdoing.

In addition to this settlement, Monsanto has reached separate agreements on other Roundup™ and PCB-related cases, increasing Bayer’s total litigation provisions from €7.8 billion to €11.8 billion. The company expects a negative free cash flow for 2026 and has secured financing through an $8 billion bank facility.

The class settlement covers plaintiffs diagnosed with NHL prior to February 17, 2026, or diagnosed within 16 years after court approval, providing a long-term claims program managed by a professional administrator. Members of the class will receive notice and may opt out if desired.

Related Stories
“No business person in the United States is going to hire people that are terrorists or criminals. So deporting them is going to have zero impact on the economy...”
“We find lots of public support when there is a natural disaster, but maybe a little bit less when people think prices are too low.”

Marion is a digital content manager for RFD News and FarmHER + RanchHER. She started working for Rural Media Group in May 2022, bringing a decade of digital experience in broadcast media and some cooking experience to the team.

LATEST STORIES BY THIS AUTHOR:

The White House is now preparing to restore an Endangered Species Act (ESA) rule from the first Trump Administration.
University of Nebraska President Dr. Jeffrey Gold joined RFD-TV to provide the latest insights on diabetes and rural health.
Mary-Thomas Hart, with the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, discusses the latest WOTUS developments and their implications for agriculture.
Earlier this year, the BLM moved to rescind the Public Lands Rule from the Biden Administration. Interior Secretary Doug Bergum says overturning the rule will protect the American way of life and give rural communities a stronger voice.
With feed supplies running tight, producers can tap into some creative options, according to University of Pennsylvania Veterinarian and Professor Dr. Joe Bender.
Lewis Williamson with HTS Commodities shares an update on post-WASDE grain movement, with corn leading export momentum, soybeans steady, and wheat and sorghum continuing to move selectively.