China Renews U.S. Beef Plant Registrations in Major Breakthrough for Meat Exports

USMEF President and CEO Dan Halstrom joins us to discuss China’s renewed access for U.S. beef facilities, the outlook for exports, and key conversations taking place at this week’s Spring Conference.

OKLAHOMA CITY, Okla. (RFD NEWS) — China is renewing plant registrations for U.S. beef facilities following last week’s trade discussions, a move the U.S. Meat Export Federation (USMEF) is calling a major breakthrough for the American beef industry.

The agreement restores momentum for U.S. beef exports into China after many plant registrations began expiring in 2025, limiting access to one of the world’s largest protein markets.

Dan Halstrom, President and CEO of the U.S. Meat Export Federation, joined us on Tuesday’s Market Day Report from the organization’s Spring Conference in Oklahoma City to discuss the latest developments surrounding beef access in China and what it could mean for producers moving forward.

In his conversation with RFD News, Halstrom discussed efforts to restore U.S. beef access in China and outlined details surrounding the registration extension for hundreds of U.S. beef facilities, and shared his outlook on the potential impact of China reopening to U.S. beef imports.

Halstrom also provided an update from the U.S. Meat Export Federation’s Spring Conference in Oklahoma City, where discussions focused on the current state of global beef, pork, and lamb exports and the outlook for international demand.

China Reverses Course on Beef Imports

USMEF Vice President of Communications Joe Schuele told the Oklahoma Farm Report that the issue dates back to the expiration timeline tied to the Phase One trade agreement.

“The plant registration started to expire in March of 2025, and that was kind of the five-year anniversary of the phase one agreement, when most U.S. plants went ahead and decided to become active in the China market,” Schuele explains. “And then, those plants, gradually over the course of 2025 — more and more — became ineligible because their registration had expired.”

Schuele said some facilities have also been suspended over what China describes as technical violations, though U.S. industry leaders argue the actions do not align with international standards.

“We have some issues with that because we feel that China’s not following international standards, and they’re not following reasonable standards before they delist these plants,” he said. “But those suspensions do represent a pretty significant share of our total production.”

According to USMEF, nearly half of U.S. beef production still faces additional hurdles before becoming fully eligible for export to China. Facilities impacted by suspensions will still need to complete corrective actions before access is fully restored.

Despite those remaining challenges, Schuele says the renewed registrations are already helping improve product availability for customers in China and strengthening broader export demand across Asia.

“It’s going to come as a big relief to the customers in China who have not had access to the product,” he said. “You basically had almost nothing that was eligible for China except pipeline products that were produced before a specific plant’s registration expired.”

Schuele added that China’s return to the market could increase value for cuts that are especially popular throughout Asia, including short plates, chuck rolls, and short ribs: “Simply having China back in the market, that’s going to add value to every cut that we ship to Asia, regardless of the destination.”

Related Stories
Consumer spending continues, but value-focused buying is on the rise.
Cooperatives may need changes to attract younger producers.
Jose de Jesus explains the National Pork Board’s new campaign, “Taste What Pork Can Do,” which aims to build long-term engagement with Millennial and Gen-Z consumers.
Researchers say new technology will continue to drive innovation in forest operations.
Rising costs are significantly extending walnut profitability timelines.
Michael Cliver discusses his recent visit to the White House with the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, and the Trump Administration’s “Working Families Tax Cuts” impact on ranching families.

Marion is a digital content manager for RFD News and FarmHER + RanchHER. She started working for Rural Media Group in May 2022, bringing a decade of digital experience in broadcast media and some cooking experience to the team.

LATEST STORIES BY THIS AUTHOR:

The Ranger Road Fire is fully contained after burning nearly 300,000 acres. Ranchers face significant cattle and fence losses, with recovery efforts underway.
National FFA Organization CEO Scott Stump shares the importance of Give FFA Day, how contributions support students, and why today is an opportunity for everyone to help invest in the future of agriculture.
East Tennessee Children’s Hospital officially becomes Dolly Parton Children’s Hospital, marking a new era of compassionate, world-class pediatric care in Tennessee.
USDA Farmer Bridge Assistance payments could begin this weekend as producers face tight margins, shifting acreage expectations, cattle herd contraction, and growing pressure for a stronger farm safety net.
Delays on year-round E15 keep potential corn demand and fuel savings in limbo.
Three junior heifer exhibitors continue their trek through the Texas Swing at the San Antonio Stock Show, balancing competition, friendship, and life on the road.