President Trump’s government worker buyout has those worried about USDA workers

President Donald Trump‘s proposed government worker buyout has some worried about potential losses at the US Department of Agriculture (USDA). That proposal is now tied up in court, and Senator Chuck Grassley (R-IA) says his office has taken a lot of calls. He says it is ultimately up to the courts.

“We’re getting a lot of calls, maybe last week 400-500 on this whole process. I don’t think that this Boston judge is the final word,” Sen. Grassley said. “I think the Administration is going to appeal a lot of these decisions, and they should appeal them. If they appeal them and win, then we know that the process can go on.”

The Trump Administration says it will appeal that judge’s decision. At last check, over 65,000 federal employees had opted into the buyout.

Related Stories
Bankruptcy filings reflect prolonged margin pressure, rising debt, and limited financial flexibility across farm country. Bigger operating loans are helping farms manage costs, but they also signal growing reliance on borrowed capital.
RFD NEWS Correspondent Frank McCaffrey was in Mission, Texas, where state and federal officials addressed growers and producers at a round table event hosted at a citrus grower’s facility. He shows us how welcome news was all around.
A transition from traditional, technology-specific subsidies toward a performance-based, technology-neutral framework
Producers across the country spent the week balancing spring planning with tight margins and uneven moisture outlooks. Input purchasing stayed cautious, while marketing and cash-flow decisions remained front and center for many operations.
Nationwide highlights expanded insurance options for cattle operations and their company initiatives to promote grain bin safety and support women in agriculture.
Corey Owens of the San Angelo Stock Show and Rodeo Association shares updates about this year’s event and its continued impact on youth, agriculture, and the San Angelo community.

LATEST STORIES BY THIS AUTHOR:

Lawmakers and experts react to the Administration’s long-awaited announcement of “bridge” aid to stabilize farms and offset 2025 losses until expanded safety-net programs begin in 2026.
Read the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s official press release published on Monday, December 8, 2025.
Joe Peiffer with Ag & Business Legal Strategies advises farmers on end-of-year financial planning, including preparing records, avoiding common credit mistakes, and evaluating equipment purchases for 2026.
Lewie Pugh with the Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) discusses the gap in truck driver education programs and how it impacts road safety and supply chain economics.