RFD-TV anchors put the “Barbie” in barbecue at the Tennessee State Fair Celebrity Cook-Off!
RFD-TV’s own Marlin Bohling proved he is more than “just Ken” with his yummy “BarBieQuacamole Taco Burgers.” Get the recipe here — it’s a 10!
RFD-TV’s own Marlin Bohling proved he is more than “just Ken” on Thursday at the Tennessee State Fair’s Celebrity Cook-Off with his delicious recipe for “BarBieQuacamole Taco Burgers.”
Our resident markets expert and Market Day Report anchor cooked alongside Charlsie McKay, RFD-TV News producer & anchor of FFA Today, in the celebrity cook-off where they competed head-to-head against other teams of media personalities from across the state.
Our dynamic duo was proud to represent rural America and the agricultural community at the State Fair showing, presenting a recipe that showcases bold, creative flavors as well as many premium, Tennessee-grown ingredients as possible!
Our dynamic duo did us proud in this year’s cooking competition—bring back ribbons for Best Theme as well as Best Presentation! However, they did not take home the top prize, which went to their competitors from Nashville’s CBS affiliate station, NewsChannel5 WTVF.
Get their recipe below — it’s a 10!
Marlin’s BarBieQuacamole Taco Burgers
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
RFD-TV’s own Marlin Bohling developed this recipe for BarBieQuacamole Taco Burgers using bold flavors and creative cooking techniques with the goal of showcasing as many premium, Tennessee-grown ingredients as possible!
For the burgers:
- ½ lb. of ground beef
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 Tbsp sweet bell peppers, diced
- 1 Tbsp onions, chopped
- 4 tsp refried beans
- 1 tsp + dash Tajin seasoning blend
- 2 Tbsp Nacho Cheese Doritos, finely crushed
- 4 tsp Salsa Verde
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend, divided
For the tacos:
- 4 — flat-bottomed hard-shell taco shells [Marlin prefers Nacho Cheese flavor!]
- 4 Tbsp prepared guacamole
- 4 tsp sour cream
- 4 Tbsp Rotel diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce, divided
Prepare the Burgers
- Combine ground beef, egg, diced bell peppers, chopped onions, refried beans, and 1 teaspoon of Tajin seasoning. Mix well and set aside.
- Form the meat mixture into two large patties and place onto a hot grill or skillet. After flipping the burger patties, sprinkle them lightly on top with crushed Dorito crumbs and a pinch of Tajin seasoning. Then lightly cover each patty with a spoonful of salsa verde and a liberal amount of shredded Mexican cheese until melted.
Build the Tacos
- While the cheese is melting, crisp up the taco shells in an oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for three minutes, placing a small glass or metal spacer inside the shells to help them hold their shape. [NOTE: You can also microwave them for about 45 seconds, but don’t use metal!]
- Spread a layer of guacamole liberally on the bottom base and one side of each taco shell. Follow with layers of sour cream and Rotel tomatoes on the stand-up flat side of the shell. Then, cover those with a light layer of shredded lettuce.
- When the patties are finished cooking, cut them in half and slip each half-moon-shaped burger into a stand-up taco shell.
- Once standing upright, top off each BarBieQuacamole Taco Burger with more shredded cheese mix, lettuce, and a light layer of salsa.
- Serve on a bed of shredded lettuce with a side of guacamole!